Postdoctoral Fellow – Digiscape, Augmented and Virtual Reality
CSIRO: Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Deadline: January 9, 2017 or until filled
- Do you want to make a difference?
- Build Augmented Reality systems to support decision making in agriculture
- Join CSIRO’s Data61 and make an impact
As a Postdoctoral Fellow you will carry out innovative, impactful research that will lead to novel and important scientific outcomes, including carrying software engineering and programming for rapid pro-typing of Augmented Reality (AR) systems.
Specifically you will:
- Survey literature, attend workshops and collaborate with staff in Aquaculture and the broader Agriculture domains to understand and map opportunities for AR technologies.
- Craft technology demonstrations that enable people to experience new application concepts using real/live data.
- Contribute to commercialisation efforts.
- Maintain an awareness of industry roadmaps.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals.
- Prepare and present appropriate conference papers.
- Contribute to the development of innovative concepts and ideas for further research.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and staff across CSIRO.
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Salary: $78k to $88k plus up to 15.4% super
Professional Development Budget: Yes
Term: 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or a directly related field.
- High levels of oral and written communication and ability to represent the team at national and international conferences
- Experience conducting research in interactive 3D graphics and/or computer vision in Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality and/or Web3D.
- Familiarity with computer graphics engines such as Unity or Unreal and/or familiarity with Graphics Libraries such as OpenGL, Vulkan, or DirectX.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi—disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team and carry out tasks autonomously.
- A record of science innovation and creativity and a willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches to support scientific investigations.
- To be able to travel to conferences, fieldwork, meetings and other events.
At the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world.
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
Find out more www.csiro.au
ABOUT THE FUTURE SCIENCE PLATFORMS AND DIGISCAPE
Future Science Platforms (FSPs) are a major new CSIRO initiative and are multi-year investments in frontier science that will help reinvent and create new industries for Australia. In the future Australia’s agriculture.
Digiscape is the FSP that is creating next-generation decision tools to transform the agriculture and land management sector. To achieve this aim, Digiscape will bring to bear cutting edge climate science; new sources of locally and remotely sensed data; informatics for agro-ecosystems; rigorous analysis of uncertainties; and innovation in both the ICT and social dimensions of systems integration.
ABOUT AUSTRALIA AND CANBERRA
Australia is a stable, democratic and culturally diverse nation with a highly skilled workforce and one of the strongest performing economies in the world. With a spectacular natural environment, high quality of life and great diversity Australia is a sought after destination. Find out more About Australia.
Canberra is Australia’s capital city, designed for easy living, with wide tree-lined streets. It is close to snow fields and pastoral lands. The climate supports an outdoor lifestyle that engenders a strong interest in sports of all types.
Please upload 1 document only containing your CV/Resume, cover letter and any transcripts. In your application please provide sufficient, brief, relevant and specific information to enable the selection panel to assess your suitability against the selection criteria.
Please note: This is an early career position open to those with no more than 3 years research experience since completing their PhD.
To view the full position description and to apply, please visit: https://jobs.csiro.au/job/Canberra%2C-ACT-Postdoctoral-Fellow/378254200/
Application Deadline: Open until filled, however we encourage you to submit your application by January 9, 2017 as we will interview suitable candidates from this date onwards.